I was troubleshooting reports of slowness in a headless Magento 2 implementation. We had evidence some customer cart interactions were responding in 2+ minutes and often with a 500 status. The first place I generally start looking is the APM. Much to my surprise the p99 response time for our application instances rarely exceeded 3 seconds. There was no indication that responses where taking multiple minutes.
The application instances sit behind a load balancer, so we decided looked at the p99 response time for the load balancer targets. The p99 reported by the load balancer matched what we were seeing when reproducing with user reports. Interestingly, there was no correlation between the loadbalancer p99 and application p99. In fact there was a HUGE gap.
As a developer, this is the point where I stop looking at the application
code and start looking at the infrastructure. The APM doesn’t show the
application being slow. Digging into server logs we noticed php-fpm was
routinely hitting the
pm.max_children limit on all instances. The obvious
quick fix was spinning up more instances increasing the available php-fpm
processes. We stopped seeing warnings about hitting the process limit, but
the gap in response time between the loadbalancer and application didn’t move.
The next step was looking for patterns in the slow responses hiding the load balancer logs. Since this was an AWS ALB we could query the logs from S3 easily using Athena. Honestly this is probably where the investigation should have started. It was painfully clear there were a couple Magento API endpoints creating our troubles and all of them cart related. This is worst case scenario working in ecommerce where rule #1 is “Don’t break checkout”.
We confirmed the issue application related and critical. We started noticing
E_ERROR: Allowed memory size of 792723456 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 16384 bytes) in the error log with a truncated traces, but
stemming from quote load and total collection. At this point we knew:
At this point my working theory was a rouge loop with a certain quote state would loop infinitely until exhausting available memory. I knew it was very likely the PHP module responsible for APM reporting will not send data if the process exits abruptly. Next I cloned a couple carts to my local environment until the issue reproduced and started stepping through with Xdebug.
Eventually I found a plugin in Klaviyo’s Magento 2 module causing the infinite loop when a quote has a coupon code and requires a recollection triggered by an admin saving one of the quote products or an applicable catalog rule. When these two things happen the plugin triggers recursively and cart becomes unusable. I opened a bug on the repo and wrote a quick plugin on their plugin guarding against the loop.